Ever had someone come into your house and say, "phew, it smells like dog"? Helloooo....I do have a dog, or in my case, dogs. Sorry, the odor comes with the territory. We may not notice it ourselves, but to a non-dog person, the odor can be quite offensive.
And just try selling your house with pet odors. That is another chapter in the story. I tried the usual methods...bathing them, keeping up with house cleaning, the works. But until I removed all of the old carpet and washed down the walls, the real estate agent was not satisfied. Actually, I sold the house to pet owners who didn't seem to smell anything out of the ordinary.
Since I have become aware of the effects harsh chemicals can have on me and my dogs, I have searched for natural air fresheners to help eliminate any dog odors that may linger in the house.
Here are some that I have found to be easy and effective.
Essential Oil Room Sprays
· 1 ounce of water
· 12 drops of Lavender, Eucalyptus or Tea Tree.
· Place mixture in a spray bottle and shake well.
Making small batches often ensures freshness. You may substitute your favorite aroma.
· 8 drops Cedarwood Oil
· 4 drops Tea Tree Oil
· 1 ounce water
· Mix the oils and water in a spray bottle and shake well.
· 6 drops Bergamot Oil
· 1 drop Tea Tree Oil
· 5 drops Lemon Oil
· 1 ounce water
· Mix the oils and water in a spray bottle and shake well
· 10 drops Lavender
· 6 drops Sweet Orange
· 6 drops Peppermint
· 3 drops Eucalyptus
· Add mixture in a 1 ounce spray bottle.
You can also use this spray directly on your dog...but be careful not to spray in the eyes.
More ways to use Essential Oils
· Place a drop of Lavender or Lemon onto a light bulb. The heat from the bulb will spread the scent into the air.
· I also sprayed my central air conditioner filter with the above sprays so that the scent would be throughout the house.
· 2 cups hot water
· 1 tsp of baking soda.
· 1 tsp of lemon juice
· Put the water in a spray bottle.
· Mix in the baking soda.
· Add the lemon juice.
· Shake the bottle well
· Pour Vanilla into a bowl and leave it out over night
· Pour White Vinegar into a bowl and leave it out over night.
Try these natural air fresheners to keep your house smelling fresh, removing dog odors without the harsh chemicals. Then when someone, particularly a non-pet person, comes over, they will not say "phew, it smells like dog."