Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why Do Most Lesbians Love Dogs More than Kids?

I realize this is a major generalization, that not all lesbians hate children. It just seems that most lesbians I know would rather have a dog than a kid, that the pitter-patter of four little feet is more appealing than the pitter-patter of two feet.
Now, I am a lesbian who has two kids and four dogs (three cats,etc.), so perhaps you would think my analysis would be skewed. In reality, though, I too have little patience for most children. I love my children more than life, and would gladly give up my own for them, but, honestly, I find it hard to drum up enthusiasm for other peoples's children.
I have never had that "urge" to have a baby, that maternal need to give birth (and after watching childbirth up close and personal, it would never have happened). My wife always wanted to have children, so when I decided that she was the one for me, children were part of the package. Honestly, looking back now, I really didn't put a lot
of thought into being a parent. It's scary really. I'm really lucky it worked out as well as it did. My children are the light of my life.
I was also very lucky that I had boys. I can clothe a boy, I can play catch with a boy, basically I am much better at boy things. (Perhaps like many lesbians, I am missing part of the girl gene.) I don't think I could have picked out clothes for a girl if my life depended on it. I have gone through most of my life avoiding wearing a dress or pantyhose, and I don't see that changing any time soon. (When I look at myself in a dress, I think I look like a man in drag! ) A lot of the little girls in my neighborhood seem to naturally want to wear dresses and play with dolls.
What would I have done with that?? All I know is that it wouldn't have been pretty!
So, why do most of us want to shower our affections on a pet and have them be our "children"? I'm not quite sure. But I'm lucky it all worked out for me. I have my
kids and my pets ... and my life is awesome.
But I don't think I would have been unhappy not having kids. I would have had no idea of what being a parent is like, so I wouldn't have missed it.
So, do you think this is true? If so, why?

http://pawsiblegaytails.blogspot.com/

No comments: